Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Tides Rock !


Like following the bouncing ball. Its as simple as that. Yes, anyone can make a pittance of money in this market on the short side .....if he pays attention, and watches the tides. So I did it and scalped handsomely on the short side as a novelty today....just to prove it can be done. But, its a bull market, so dont try making a living on the short side here....not good for your health or welfare.


Yeah I know....not nearly as interesting as building solar panels or even close to building a hydroelectric station in your backyard.......but the title of this blog is, afterall, tides-trends-trading......not green power, unite! So, I guess, as long as there is interest by many on receiving the keys to the markets, I'll keep unlocking the door.....at least until I either grow bored or no one shows interest anymore.

8 comments:

Joe said...

Larry,

Thanks for your update. I also went a bit short yesterday COB as I thought this tidal down-turn would be a bit more aggressive. But I'm out of my net-short position already. As you said it... we're in a bull market.

On your hydroelectric plant... does it freeze so much in your winter that it will shut down your power plant or does the water keep flowing all year?

Joe

mOOrso said...

Joe....exact same here...I went short, took some profit and exited. I too expected a little more of a dip, but once I saw nothing happening, decided to exit and play it safe.

Its cold, but as long as the water is always moving it wont freeze up. The surface of the pond would freeze but not the area where the water comes into the pond as you can see in the pictures. Thats the location where the water wheel would be situated. Think my biggest challenge is to acquire the pond or rights to it at a reasonable price!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your charts.
I have a high on the 19th at about 1163 S and P 500 cash upper band and a fast drop to the mid band about 1105, before resuming race to new highs. You have the high as 22nd, do you see a drop to mid band as well, and do you have an idea on that turn date when it should hit. We have a VIX low reading and reversal to support that idea, as well as cycle turn in that time frame.
Thanks , Jon

mOOrso said...

Unfortuneately, tides do not predict magnitude of move or exact timing within a turn date when that turn should be expected. So, I cant help you with either question. My expectations though is that somewhere around 1,200 is a minimum target before any substantial reversal.

Joe said...

Yeah, this sure looks like a dump-and-pump tidal swing. My guess is there is just too much scepticism around yet to allow any meaningful reversion even in tidal downswings. This really is a stampede.

Rick said...

Moorso,

Can you e-mail me.
We're you on the Robert Taylor forum back some years ago. Your name seems to ring a bell in my head. I like you tide charts. Interesting work. I'd like to compare notes with you.

Rick

mOOrso said...

Email me at moorso@gmail.com Rick.

Deuxsous said...

Good stuff, mOOrso. I'm still doing my own version and of course they both come out almost even wih different tide site data.

I agree with you and Joe about the short side not working as well in a bull trend. After over three years of looking at it daily I think I have a decent handle on it.